Oven Roasted Root Vegetables
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
Source: Tori Avey
oven roasted root vegetables
- 1 pound yams (orange sweet potatoes) - 2 small or one large, peeled
- 3/4 pound red or yukon potatoes scrubbed clean, peel on
- 1/2 pound beets (red or golden), trimmed and scrubbed clean
- 1/2 pound large carrots peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 parsnip medium sized (4-5 oz), peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 red onion peeled
- 6 whole garlic cloves large sized
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 3 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (can be omitted for Ashkenazi Passover)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- For more flavor, you could sprinkle them with oregano, turmeric, or chili flakes to spice things up. Use any spice desired..
Place a rack in the bottom of your oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice all vegetables into chunks roughly 1 1/2 inches wide. The more similar the size of the vegetable pieces, the more evenly they will roast.
Place cut vegetables and garlic cloves into a large mixing bowl. Add 3 tbsp olive oil, fresh thyme leaves, ground cumin, kosher salt, and black pepper. Stir until all vegetables are evenly coated with oil, spice and herbs.
Brush large rimmed baking sheet with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Spread the vegetables out evenly on the baking sheet. Place the rosemary sprigs on top of the vegetables, evenly spaces across the sheet.
Roast the vegetables in the oven for 15 minutes. Stir the vegetables, bringing the chunks from the outside towards the center and the chunks in the center out towards the edges. Return baking sheet to oven and continue to roast until the largest chunks are tender and the edges are starting to turn golden/dark, another 15-25 minutes.
Remove the roasted rosemary sprigs and stir the vegetables (some leaves of rosemary will remain, this is good). Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Vegetables can be served warm or at room temperature.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?