Use whatever type of bacon you like- regular, turkey or even vegan. Just remember that turkey bacon and vegan bacon are not very oily and additional oil or butter must be added.
– Use a non-stick pan so that none of the ingredients stick to the pan.
– Make sure to finely chop your onions because they blend together much better with the cabbage.
– Don’t over-cook the cabbage or else the texture becomes very soft and “mushy” and it’s just weird. – Instead of bacon, you can also use sausage.
- 5-6 thick bacon strips Cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup onion Finely chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage shredded or roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar Optional
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 1/4 tsp Smoked paprika
Cook bacon in a non-stick pan over medium heat until crisp. Use a slotted spatula to remove the bacon and place it on plate. Do not discard the bacon grease and drippings!
In the same pan, add onion and cook until translucent.
Add cabbage, salt, pepper, paprika and mix everything together. Cook for about 7 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
Add bacon back into the pan and mix it together with the cabbage and serve warm.
You can also make this side dish vegetarian by omitting bacon. Make sure to use 2-3 tbsp unsalted butter.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
No public reviews yet! Will you be the first?